What is a Kitchen Backsplash?
A kitchen backsplash is a decorative wall covering installed behind the stove, sink, and countertops. Backsplashes can be made from a variety of materials and can be easily customized to include patterns chosen by the homeowner.
The purpose of a backsplash is to protect the walls from moisture and damage while adding style and personality to a kitchen. Backsplashes can also protect your kitchen walls from stains. Tiles are often easier to clean than wall paint. Ultimately, kitchen backsplashes are a practical design choice that can add flare to your home.
Is a Backsplash Necessary for a Kitchen?
Backsplashes are not necessary; however, they are recommended to reduce damage and to make your walls easier to maintain. Paint is easily stained by grease and splattering sauces, so maintaining your painted kitchen walls can be a hassle. Backsplashes, on the other hand, are highly durable surfaces made to be cleaned over and over again.
Get a free estimate
We will give you a fully-detailed free estimate so you have no hidden fees.
Meet with us and make your selections
When you meet us at our showroom, we will walk you through selecting the right materials for your project.
Let’s shake on it
Sign the contract, make the down payment, and get your kitchen design plan
Kitchen remodeling process
Once you’ve approved the design and installation process and date, the products will be ordered and the redesign process will take place!
What are the Benefits of a Kitchen Backsplash?
- Easier cleaning. Tile is durable enough to withstand a sudsy scrubbing in a way that paint is not. Many types of tile do not absorb staining agents in the same way as paint, so food wipes off faster and easier.
- Mold and water damage prevention behind sink. Backsplashes protect your walls from water damage, by keeping splashes of water off the wall. This also prevents mold from growing on your walls.
- Customized color and design to make your kitchen more unique. You can mix and match backsplash tiles to create color patterns that appeal to you.
- Prevent food and oil splashes from damaging your walls. Because backsplashes are so easy to clean, they’re less likely to be damaged by food and oil that splatters your walls.
- Prevent pests. Easy to clean surfaces are important in the kitchen, as maintaining a clean kitchen can prevent pests from finding their way into your house.
Does a Backsplash Increase My Home’s Value?
Any time you perform an update to your home, you do something to increase your home’s value. Backsplashes add value by making your kitchen more functional while also making your kitchen more beautiful. If you should try to sell your home, an attractive kitchen can help your home sell faster and for more money.
How Much of the Kitchen Should You Backsplash?
While the standard height of a kitchen backsplash is four inches from the countertop, you don’t have to stick to the standard. Some backsplashes cover the entire wall to create an accent wall or a focal point. Creative use of color in a backsplash can even make the kitchen look bigger than it is.
Where should you not put backsplash?
Backsplashes are a functional and decorative touch in the kitchen. However, if the backsplash is positioned in spaces where it is not visible, such as behind the refrigerator or behind the cabinets, the backsplash is wasted. Put the backsplash behind any food prep areas, but not behind the fridge or cabinets.
Types of Kitchen Backsplashes
There are many different types of kitchen backsplashes available, each with its own unique look and feel. From small neutral tiles to bold colors in stone and brick, the options are limitless. Some of the most popular types of kitchen backsplashes are listed below.
Ceramic or Porcelain Tile Backsplashes
Ceramic tile backsplashes are classic and timeless, found in thousands of homes around the country. They’re available in a variety of colors, styles, and sizes.
Subway tiles are one of the most popular ceramic tiles available. These rectangular-shaped tiles are an affordable and attractive variation of standard ceramic tiles. You will often find subway tiles in remodeled kitchens.
Stone or Brick Backsplashes
Stone is luxurious and elegant, and it can be installed to match a natural stone countertop. There are a wide variety of natural stones, including marble, granite, and quartz. Choose the type of stone that has the visual aesthetic and also the maintenance requirements that most appeal to you. If a low-maintenance stone is important to you, quartz is the preferred option. This man-made engineered stone can be made to look like any type of natural stone and never needs to be sealed.
Brick is also a durable backsplash material that can add a rustic charm to your kitchen. Stone and brick can be laid in a variety of patterns to make for a more visually interesting backsplash.
Glass tile backsplashes are modern, sleek, and customizable. Glass backsplashes are available in a variety of colors and finishes, including some shiny types of glass that have a special visual appeal.
Metal tile work can be contemporary and edgy or classic, like Victorian metal ceiling tiles. Metal wall tile backsplashes come in a variety of colors, including copper, tin, chrome, bronze, and more. Many metal backsplashes have textures as well that add an extra level of visual appeal.
JB Design & Remodeling can work with you to design and install a unique backsplash that suits your kitchen, personality, and aesthetic.
How to Choose a Kitchen Backsplash
When choosing a kitchen backsplash, there are a few factors you will need to consider, including the following.
Find a backsplash that complements the style of your kitchen, including the other materials in your kitchen, such as your hardwood floor installation, cabinet colors, countertop material, and more. The kitchen backsplash can add a splash of color or texture, but it’s important to work in conjunction with the colors and textures already in the room.
If you have a small kitchen, you may want to choose a backsplash that is easy to maintain and does not take up a lot of space visually and literally. If you have a large kitchen, you may have more options and can choose a more elaborate backsplash.
Kitchen backsplashes can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Make your budget before designing your backsplash to avoid wasted time. If you’re working with a contractor on the creation of your backsplash, share your budget with them to avoid going over budget.
Desired maintenance level
Some backsplashes are easier to clean and maintain than others. For example, backsplashes made of granite or marble should be sealed periodically to prevent the porous stone from absorbing staining agents. Backsplashes with grout need periodic sealing and may occasionally require a deeper cleaning to keep the grout looking its best.
What Should I Look for When Choosing Backsplash Installation Services in Virginia Beach?
DIY backsplash installation may sound like a budget-friendly way to perform your home improvement, but a contractor with years of experience can perform error-free, high-quality work mush faster and more easily than a homeowner who has never installed a backsplash before.
Choosing a contractor to do the work as opposed to doing it yourself saves time and money because some homeowners do the work themselves only to discover later that it was harder than they anticipated. After attempting to install a backsplash on their own, they pay a contractor to remove the first backsplash and install a corrected version. Contractors are able to execute the design with quality and finesse.
When choosing a contractor to install your kitchen backsplash, vet several contractors before settling on the right business for your project. When you’ve selected a contractor for your project, get everything in writing, including price and time estimates, materials, and additional costs. Sign a contract to ensure that everyone is on the same page. Here’s what to look for as you’re vetting contractors:
- Experience: Make sure the contractor has experience installing kitchen backsplashes. Ask for a portfolio of their past projects.
- Reputation: Ask the contractor for references from previous clients who have had that contractor do similar work on their house.
- Licensing: Is the contractor licensed and insured?
- Time: How long will the installation take? Ask the contractor about the timeline, including their anticipated start time and end time.
- Quality workmanship: Make sure the contractor uses high-quality materials and has high standards for their work.
How Long Does a Backsplash Installation Take?
Most backsplashes can be installed in two to four days. This time may increase depending on the size of your kitchen and the complexity of the pattern or inlay in your backsplash design. Most of the time is spent waiting for the mortar, grout, and grout sealant to dry. Your contractor can give you a more precise estimate.
Cost of Installing a Kitchen Backsplash in Virginia Beach
The cost of installing a kitchen backsplash will vary depending on:
- Kitchen size. Generally speaking, the larger the kitchen, the larger the backsplash.
- Backsplash material. Some tiles, like ceramic subway tiles, are relatively affordable. Other types of tiles, like natural stone or glass tile, can be costly. You can choose the type of tile based on your budget, your aesthetic preferences, or both.
- Labor costs. Some contractors cost more than others. Be wary of the low-cost handyman service that underbids the competition. Your kitchen remodeling project is worth doing right. The low-cost home services company isn’t always the best choice.
You can expect to pay anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars for a new kitchen backsplash.
Tips for Maintaining Your Kitchen Backsplash
Once your kitchen backsplash is installed, it is important to take care of it to keep it looking its best. Here are a few tips:
- Clean your backsplash regularly with a mild soap and water solution.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on your backsplash.
- If your backsplash is made of tile, grout sealer can help to protect it from staining and discoloration.
- If your backsplash is made of glass, you may need to polish it occasionally to keep it looking shiny.
- Seal your backsplash using a clear backsplash sealant.
Make a Splash With Your Kitchen Design
Are you seeking kitchen backsplash installers in Virginia Beach? At JB Design, we perform kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling, and custom construction services in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Newport News, Portsmouth, and the remaining Hampton Roads area. We manage each project front to end, and are intentional about picking an experienced crew that will execute with top-notch quality.
Hire a family-owned business that you can trust. JB Design & Remodeling is a trusted name in tile floor, vanity, and backsplash installation. We perform home improvements that can significantly increase your home’s value. Call 757-517-2222, complete the online contact form, or visit our showroom to see our work for yourself.
You’ll start with a consultation with us to discuss your vision for your space. Next, we’ll create a design that matches your vision. From there, you can sit back and let the work happen. It won’t be long before you have a new backsplash to show off to your dinner guests.
To Get Started On Your Kitchen Remodel!